Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Destination


It's always hard to describe the details of exactly where you want to end up in your career. Sometimes it's because you don't really know yet, and other times it's because you don't want to be disappointed if you can't attain the seemingly unobtainable goals you've set for yourself. This is a very prevalent issue in the entertainment industry (and film in particular). The chances of "making it big" are one in a million, and there are thousands of others out there that have more experience.

So, now that I've gotten that out of the way, what are my goals in this seemingly over-saturated industry? Well, as you can probably glean from my previous posts, I am a fan of Paul Thomas Anderson. A big fan. A very big fan. He is one of the true auteurs of our time, and, in my opinion, of of the greatest directors of all time. Not only does he direct amazing films -- he writes them too. He says that he will never direct anything that he didn't write, and I feel that this is the sign of a truly great storyteller. He sees his films through from beginning to end, and his passion jumps out of the screen. This is what I want to do. I want to write and direct stories that matter. Hopefully, these will also eventually make money, but if I can tell a story worth telling -- something that emotionally affects audiences and makes them think -- then I have succeeded. I want to make movies that people talk about when they leave the theatre.

My goals in this class are stepping stones to my ultimate goals. I have a true passion for visuals, and I love working with the camera. This class will help me hone these skills and develop an understanding of the filmmaking process.

I hope that I can one day make films like Paul Thomas Anderson and other great auteurs. I want my passion to be shown to others through my images and through my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment