Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Artist's Statement

Here's my artist's statement: I want to project life onto a screen.

I know I'll need to go more in-depth, but I think that sentence sums it up. I don't want to stick to a particular genre, and I don't want to tell the same story over and over. I want my audiences to feel something while watching my films, and in turn, think about life in a different way. Some of my favorite films tell stories of ordinary people while others show fantastical dreamed-up worlds. I don't believe that these stories are mutually exclusive, and I don't believe that "genre" defines a film. I believe that theme should be the top priority of any film. Not plot, not visuals, not explosions, but theme. What the movie is about. If it's a good movie, then that theme should challenge you mentally.

This is what I want to create. I want to tell stories of people, places, and things that mean something -- stories that have more to them than just pretty pictures and crazy action sequences. I want audiences to talk about my movies after they end, I want them to think critically and feel something. This is why I am drawn to filmmakers like Paul Thomas Anderson, Stanley Kubrick, and Terrence Malick. They treat their craft like a craft -- not a business.

Visual style is also something that is very important to me. And while I previously stated that I don't only focus on the visuals of a movie, I still believe that they are an integral part of storytelling. I am a very visual person, and I seek to show this in the films I make. There are times when a story should be told with words, and there are times when a story can be told with images. Both are equally capable of conveying the director's vision and the film's theme. Personally, I am drawn to dramatic, low key lighting, and muted color. I love deep, rich tones and focus on value and texture.

Going back to my original statement, I want to project life onto a screen. I want to give perspectives that audiences don't normally see. I want people to think. I want to create emotion. Through film, I am able to tell stories that matter to me, and hopefully, to others as well.


8 comments:

  1. Your shots look crazy good. They really stand apart from everyone elses. The last shot is one of my favorites, of the girl's eyes closeup.. love how that green pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor. I loved how you organized your shots together to tell a story from different films- especially when it went from the end of your CMF movie to Carly walking. It did make me uncomfortable though when you put the Justin and Carly shot to the shot of the daughter and father in the CMF video- I'd be careful about putting those two so closely together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. duuuuuuuude. your reel is amazing. Your music choices are always epic and beautiful. I hope to one day wield the camera as you do my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really beautiful shots!! Your reel shows me that your good at directing/shooting dramatic and tragic scenes, so I think you'll excel in that genre. Also, I love the post production work you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are crazy talented with the camera. I love your visual style and how you are able to execute it very very well on screen. From your reel I can that you have a similar look of mute colors and serious narratives which I like. My favorite shot is the close up of the girl's eyes from your scene assignment, the way you incorporate the use of natural light is beautiful also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean it looked alright I guess.
    Thank you for teaching us the not so little nuances with the slr. It was a pleasure to work with you and I certainly hope to it again! And certainly if I can ever help you, don't hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a talent with the camera. There is no doubt about it.Your shoots are different from others.Clse up on girls looks beatiful.Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The talent you have for this is quite amazing! I believe you will have no problem making it big in this field because of great work! Hope to see your name on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete